Compared to incandescent light bulbs (conventional types of light) or fluorescent lights, Light Emitting Diode (LED) is a more effective technique for lighting your premises. LED lights may be left on continuously without experiencing any problems. This is due to the fact that LEDs emit less heat than light bulbs, making them less prone to overheat or catch fire.
Table of Contents
The only way an LED light can be harmed is if it is shorted, which is simple to prevent by keeping them away from conductive materials like water. They are an extremely safe and economical lighting option. However, this does not imply that you should because leaving them on for so long has a number of drawbacks. In case you are wondering how long do LEDs last or do LED lights get hot or not, this article will clear that confusion and you will know can LED lights be left on 24/7.
How Long Can LED Lights Stay On?
If you buy an LED light from a renowned brand/store, you definitely should not be worried about whether can LED lights be left on 24/7. They can easily last for 6+ years even if you do not switch them off. You should take precautions about buying and leaving cheap/low-quality LEDs switched on for an extended period of time, at least until you know how they behave.bu
Sometimes cheaper LED manufacturers skimp on heat dissipation, so the LEDs may get quite hot during prolonged use and could start a fire. We recommend you switch them on for 6 hours while you are awake and see how hot they get. Let’s have a look at LED lights’ life expectancy and how long they can stay on every day in comparison to other lights-
|Light Type||Life Expectancy||Recommended to switch off?|
|CFL||35,000 – 50,000 hours||Turn off when you’re going to be out of the room for more than 15 minutes.|
|Incandescent||750 – 2,000 hours||Turn it off when not needed.|
|Fluorescent||24,000 – 36,000 hours||Turn it off when you’re going to be out of the room for more than 15 minutes.|
|Halogen||2,000 – 4,000 hours||Turn it off when not needed.|
|LED||35,000 – 50,000 hours||Can be left on 24/7|
Is It Okay to Leave LED Lights to Stay On 24/7?
Make sure you are aware of the risks to the environment and your safety while using LED lights for extended periods of time, regardless of whether it is just a bad habit or a genuine requirement. If you buy LEDs from an authentic store and keep them away from flammable objects or water, you have already ensured your own safety.
But that does not make them okay to leave them to stay on 24/7. Because LED lights run on electricity and electricity needs to be produced using finite resources. So if you keep on wasting electricity even when you don’t need to, the country will have to face its consequences.
Aside from that, even though the cost of lighting LED is very low compared to lighting other kinds of light, they still cost money, Lighting them 24/7 can contribute a significant figure to your monthly electricity bills. Moreover, in some areas, the voltage keeps on fluctuating sometimes.
If you leave your LED on at all times, it may face the effects of fluctuations. So it is better to keep your LEDs switched off when you don’t need them.
Advantages to Leave LED Lights Stay On 24/7
Even though the disadvantages far surpass the benefits, sometimes situations may call for your LED lights to stay all day and night. Following is the list of circumstances that may call for such situations-
1. Security: Lighting an LED 24/7 is a very secure approach, especially in places where security cameras are and where sunlight does not reach properly. Not every camera comes with night light vision. So having an LED light switched on can help in those situations at night time.
2. Safety: Sometimes, it is to keep LED on even when you sleep. If you wake up in a dark room in the middle of the night, there is a slight chance that you may trip or slip on the floor if there are any harmful objects or water on the floor. Sleeping with LED strip lights eliminates that risk.
3. Promotion: You can install unique color-changing LEDs in your Business signboards, Billboards to draw customers’ attention and keep them on 24/7.
4. Improved Environmental Performance: Setting different colors of LED lights in certain places like gardens, auditoriums, stages, and clubs create a different environment in those places. You may need to leave those lights to stay on 24/7.
Disadvantages to Leave LED Lights Stay On 24/7
1. Electric Bill: Even though lighting LED costs way less compared to lighting traditional Incandescent lights, they still cost money. If you light them 24/7, the accumulated bill may not be so small.
2. Energy Consumption: energy needs to be produced by the government and they are not produced infinitely. So if the citizen waste electricity when they don’t need them, the whole country is destined to face a shortage.
3. Sleep Interruption: Any lights, other than red can interrupt your sleep schedule, especially if it is blue. So it is better to switch them off before you go to sleep.
4. Accidents: If you purchase cheap and low-quality LED lights from a no-name seller, it may bring some threats. Putting them on for a long time may overheat their cheap and ignite a fire.
How Long Do LED Lights Last?
There are three main types of LED lights: single LEDs, LED strips, and LED bulbs. Each of their life expectancies is exceptionally long. All LED lights have a predicted lifetime stated in hours on their datasheet.
However, as a general rule: you are not likely to obtain the advertised expected life as stated by the led manufacturer as they are tested in optimal conditions High-quality commercial and office LED lighting typically last five to six years at least. After that, it will start to get deemer.
The longevity of the LED is directly impacted by a number of elements, including quality, material choice, and durability. There is, however, one widely held belief that light output declines faster under higher drive currents and higher temperatures.
Frequently Asked Question
Will LED strip lights start a fire?
Incandescent light bulbs use a filament to produce light. But the heat produced by the light bulb wastes a significant amount of the energy consumed to power it. On the other hand, LEDs are a lot more effective and efficient at turning energy into light. They utilized a semiconductor material to produce light. As a result, less heat is generated in the production of light and It makes it less likely to ignite a fire.
Will LED strip lights cost a lot leaving them on all night?
Compared to regular light bulbs, LEDs consume 85% less power! This can significantly lower your power cost and enable you to keep those LED lights on all night.
Will LED strip lights affect your sleep?
If the LED light in your room is red, amber, or warm white, it does not affect your sleep much. Rather LED night lights create a perfect, relaxing environment for your sleep. On the other hand, if the light is blue, it will prevent you from sleeping.
LED lights are safer, more cost-efficient, smarter, and more creative home appliances compared to other Fluorescent or Incandescent lights. Due to their cost efficiency, enhanced safety, and extremely long lifespan, there is no room for doubts about whether can LED lights be left on 24/7.
But still, we should not leave them on when we don’t need them. Because consuming too much electricity may cause a frequent power outages. It is also for the sake of teaching the next generation about the efficient use of tools.
My strong expertise is illuminating spaces. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for transforming environments through lighting, my dream is to leave indelible mark on the world of light design. Below are few facts of my biography, highlighting career and hobbies. Click here to contact me.